[Poetry Friday] Owning the Words of Tyler Knott Gregson – Love Haiku

Myra here.

I am glad to be joining Poetry Friday this week as we celebrate romances until end of this month.

Widget Handcrafted by Iphigene for GatheringBooks.

Widget Handcrafted by Iphigene for GatheringBooks.

Thank you to Patricia Stohr-Hunt from The Miss Rumphius Effect for hosting this week.

IMG_8436

all the words are yours: haiku on love

Poetry and Photography by: Tyler Knott Gregson
Published by: Perigee: An Imprint of Penguin Random House, 2015
Borrowed from the Jurong West Public Library. Book photos taken by me.

This book called out to me from the library shelves. I didn’t know about Tyler Knott Gregson and how much of a sensation he apparently is in social media. It was the possibility of owning the words he has to give that made me pick it up and take the little booklet home with me.

What intrigued me about the book is how Gregson juxtaposed his poetry with the photographs he has taken. I didn’t really see a discernible connection between the theme of the haiku and the pictures (which kind of disappointed me), but I enjoyed the glossy pages and the unique way of presenting poetry, which I feel would appeal quite well with Tumblr-crazy teenagers.

There are 135 haiku shared in this collection, a few did spoke to me while most went right past my old, jaded heart. I can see its potential appeal to teenagers – and more than anything, I like how Gregson makes it look so easy, when I am sure it must have taken a great deal from him to keep to the 5-7-5 rule of haiku – while at the same time exploring the vagaries of love and all its joys and heartaches. I also admire his courage in being so heartfelt in a world that sneers at anything cheesy or deeply affecting, or just plain emotional.

I am sharing a few of my favourites here with you. What I did was to take a photo of the page – captured his words on image – and edited it using an iPhone app. I hope you enjoy it!

IMG_8431
IMG_8428

IMG_8429

IMG_8430

IMG_8427

Celebrate romance. Celebrate love.

1. Thanks for sharing Myra. I don’t know Gregson’s work, but like your selection. The last one was my favourite.

2. These pairings of image and haiku are breathtaking. I also like the last one — swoon!

Myra — you were the winner of the MY CRUEL INVENTION giveaway at my blog. Please contact me and let me know where to send your book!

3. I don’t know of Gregson either, Myra, will pass this on to former colleagues for their students. I like the presentation too.

4. We are what we choose…. yes! Thanks for sharing these this poetry Friday, Myra!

5. I always adore the art you make with your iPhone app remixes!

6. I have seen his poems around on Pinterest — he’s very popular there. I can see why the title would interest you in his book!

7. I love the juxtaposition of the words and images–and learning of a new poet. I can see how they would be immensely shareable on social media. Who ever would have thought that social media would give new life to poetry to new readers in new forms?

8. Myra, thank you for sharing this book of poetry. I agree with Tara that we are what we choose stands out as reflection on life.

9. Whisper to me soft, sing a song of homecoming, hum me back to you. I love this one and the image that accompanies it – of someone walking the road home. Thanks for sharing.

10. Thank you for introducing yet another book I need to add to my “must buy” list:). I love the Haiku poems you highlighted as among your favorites. The first one stopped me; I’ve loved that poem without ever having the words to speak it. God bless you! Thank you!